Uganda church plant initiative shifts focus
From Brooke and Steven Edging, MTW Uganda:
Disappointment is never fun. No one likes writing or hearing about it. However, it is part of life in this fallen world. This is my attempt to honestly convey a very disappointing and disheartening ministry experience. Don’t worry, there is still good news to share.
Church Plant Internship Program Cancelled:
As many of you know, I was working on a church planting internship with a local Reformed and Presbyterian (R & P) church. The idea was to provide a space where aspiring R & P pastors, who were already theologically trained, could get some pastoral experience in R & P churches. Most theological students and graduates have little pastoral experience, let alone in an R & P setting. I was excited about this opportunity as were many others.
However, in early July, the session of this church decided they did not want to pursue this any further. They said they didn’t have the funds for church planting or the leadership bandwidth to oversee church planters. I felt a sense of loss and disappointment at this decision. I am but to obey and trust the Lord in this. However, this avenue of ministry has ended.
Church Planting Discipleship Continues:
Now for the good news. There are many aspiring pastors interested in church planting. They are very desirous to learn more. I am meeting with a few on Sunday mornings to discuss church planting. They actually sought me out at the beginning of the semester to make sure we were still going to meet.
I am also teaching 3 courses this semester.
In my Ecclesiology class, I get to share with the students that the church is the people of God and not a building. This truth alone begins them down a road of understanding of what the church is and how we should relate to it. It also helps church planters focus more on people rather than property as many focus on getting a building above all other things in the process.
- Please pray for the group that meets on Sundays.
- Pray that the Lord of the harvest would raise up laborers to go into the harvest field and plant gospel-centered churches.
- Pray for us as we consider what God has for us in the future.
You are part of a wonderful team that has prayed for us and supplied our every need. Thank you for this.
Prayer Needs and Praise:
- Please pray for health & protection for our family.
- Please pray for Uganda. The Parliament has been meeting the last few days about a controversial topic. Please pray for peace & just decisions.
- Please pray for us as we seek God in our future.
- Praise God that Steven had a wonderful week meeting with other MTW missionaries in Greece.
- Praise God for his protection over Titus in a recent medical scare. Read here for more of that story.
- Praise God for his continued love & care for us as we minister in Uganda.